The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 30, 2022

July 10 - 13, 1982

 

Saturday, July 10, 1982 nice sunny day, 6 quarts berries

 

Gee, another nice sunny day, it is so unusual. It is so good to see the nice sunny weather. Hot but not uncomfortably so. I got up at 5:30. Got the breakfast, changed beds, done up the cleaning etc. in this part of the house then I got Billie’s after he got the chores done. I cleaned up in the kitchen, made bread and rolls, washed floors, took a bath, picked our greens, read some papers, picked berries. Billie and I. Bill watched ballgame. Billie out and in. Vince came over. Kids over to the Carnival at Harrison in PM. Kim to work tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 11, 1982 Rhône heifer went, 4 quarts and peas

 

A nice sunny day. I didn’t get up until 7:15. Got the breakfast and done up the work. We picked 4 quarts berries and about ¾ bushel of peas. Barry worked all day at Walt’s. Zak didn’t come up at all today. Nor Kim. Carmen called late in PM after supper. Dorothea called and wanted me to go down to Fern’s with her. The rhone heifer went today to be shipped to market.

 

 

 

Monday, July 12, 1982

 

Up early and done the work, washed. Bill over to Norway. Billie mowed grass along side of the road. Carmen worked. It was cloudy because of fog. It cleared away.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 13, 1982 6 quarts berries

 

A beautiful hot day. We picked berries and peas. I cleaned up the house. Esther came over and here for PM and supper. She liked the peas and berries very much. I went to Norway with Betty. We saw Carmen on the road. Directing traffic. Es came a little while before I got back. I didn’t see programs today. I ironed, didn’t get it quite done.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment