The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 12, 2022

May 5 - 8, 1982

 

Wednesday, May 5, 1982

 

Sunny when we got up this morning. We don’t see many nice clear mornings. Very seldom when we get up. I been busy all day, I did the bedroom closets and cleaned the beds. I didn’t have time to do anything else. Billie getting tractors ready to go. Bill down to camp. I washed and hung clothes outside for first time. Betty did her bedroom and den today.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 6, 1982

 

I went to town with Dorothea, got my dresses from Sears. Got home about noon. I done up rest of the washing. I cleaned the closets in my living room. Bill and Billie busy all day getting the tractors to going etc. 

 



 

 

 

Friday, May 7, 1982

 

A beautiful day, very hot. Billie hauled manure. Bill worked at camp in a.m. Billie hauled manure and Bill helped in PM. I dug dandelions and took me the rest of the day to get them cleaned and washed. I got enough for us, Dorothea, Betty and Fern. Kim worked tonight. She went to town with Billie after school to buy some Mother’s Day gifts and to the ballgame. Betty cleaned her living room and dining room. Fern helped her.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 8, 1982

 

A very nice sunny day. I was very busy all day. Kim came up here, she cleaned the car up to get ready to go up to get Carmen Wednesday. Betty came with the little car and Betty did that one too. Betty was here and while here she cleaned the living room radiators. I cleaned up the desk draws. David came. Bubba Clark and Marguerite called too. I made cake and rolls. I have been busy all day, didn’t get my work done so to take my bath after supper. Bill and I called at Dorothea’s. Zak came up. Bill and Billie finished hauling manure out. Kimmy to the ballgame and to work tonight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment