The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

April 6 - 9, 1982 BLIZZARD

 

Tuesday, April 6, 1982

 

Well, when I got up it was cloudy, it cleared some. Then it began to cloud up as weather report said and started to snow. It began snowing hard and wind blowed very hard all very soon, by dark it was a lot of snow and drifts. By midnight, a very bad blizzard, it was awful. David didn’t go to work until 11 PM. He was called in. The turnpike was closed and plugged up with a car pile up. No places of work opened tonight.

 

Critters are all closed in and warm


After the Blizzard




 

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 7, 1982 BLIZZARD, no school

 

A BAD BLIZZARD. What a day. Still snowing and blowing very hard all day. A very bad day. I didn’t do very much housework because I worked on those papers all day, got them done. Billie didn’t go out. Our driveway was drifted so bad. Walt came and plow. This was the worst storm for years. David gone until 6 PM tonight. NO SCHOOL. No places open for work. South Portland Mall closed all day. Walt didn’t work.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 8, 1982

 

Cloudy and windy. It warmed up as the day went on. I went to town. I came home, worked on those papers for Thena. I got the papers all read and caught up.

 

 

 

Friday, April 9, 1982

 

A beautiful day. I washed all the windows. I swept the whole house, cleaned up the breezeway. I made an oyster stew for supper. I put a rinse on my hair. Bill to Norway with Betty. They lost their cat or Carmen’s Dennis. It had leukemia. Betty let Ebony out, she sure liked that it was very mild today. The new snow went quite good. Billie down to Fern’s and his calf is a lot better. Got the papers off to Thena’s family records. Got Carmen, Esther’s cards off also birthday card to Kim and Delores.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment