The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 9, 2022

April 23 - 26, 1982 Bill Had Eye Surgery

 

Friday, April 23, 1982 Bill operated on for eye

 

This is been a day of clouds and sun. Not too warm either. I did my shelves in the top cupboards, on the bottom. I also clean the cupboards up over the stove. I ironed, washed windows, mended and other odd jobs. Zak got up, had breakfast with Billie, he went with Dorothea and Betty looking for old things. Billie been raking again today. Bill had his eye operated on today at the Osteopathic Hospital. Kim back to work today after being off last week. Kim back to work tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 24, 1982

 

A very nice sunny day. I did the changing of beds, swept, dusted, made bread, rolls, washed floors etc. etc. Dorothea and Dave came down. David is finishing his fencing. Billie is still fencing. I got a call from Bill, he can’t come home today. His eye is sore and red. Doctors want him to stay another day. Hortons raked their lawns today. Ours looks very nice since Billie raked it all up.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 25, 1982 Clear and Hot, Bill came home

 

This has been a very good day. It was sunny and very hot. Got a call from the hospital. Bill’s doctor. He was doing just fine and can come home so Dorothea and I went down to get him. His eye is very red but is coming okay. He isn’t up to feeling the best yet, but will as time goes on. Dorothea and David called this morning a little while. Betty called in late PM also Zak and Walt, Cindy and Joy. Ronald and a girlfriend called. He is divorcing Jeanie. Billie turned the cows out late this PM for a little while. Billie fencing again today.

 

 

 

Monday, April 26, 1982

 

Well it hasn’t been a very good day. Bill’s eye about the same. Still very red, some pain. I went down to Betty’s, we cleaned her up her kitchen cupboards. A dite of sun now and then. I came home, finished my washing. Watched TV shows.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment