The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 5, 2022

April 10 - 12, 1982 Easter and Kim's Sweet 16

 

Saturday, April 10, 1982

 

Well it has been a quite nice day, it was fair early then it got cloudy. I been busy as a parched pea in a hot skillet. I cleaned up the house, swept, dusted, changed beds, washed floors etc. Kim came. Dorothea and David. All here quite a while. Kim ate breakfast with Billie, Dave had coffee with Billie. Dorothea had a strip of bacon. Bill and I ate early. I did a dite of wash. We had a very pretty bouquet of cut flowers from Kim. Very pretty cards from Carmen and a pretty card from the Horton’s. Bill watched the ballgames. I fixed a dress to wear tomorrow. I made bread, rolls, baked good white beans. Made some nice biscuits for supper. Kim to work. Bill and Billie in and out. Zak up. I cleaned all my silverware.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 11, 1982 Easter Sunday and Kim’s birthday 16th

 

This has been quite a day, it was very nice Easter here and the weather was very nice and warm. The snow went a lot. For dinner: Betty, Walt, Kim, Zak, Fern, Dawn and Bill, Billie and me. For Dinner; baked ham, spinach, salad, celery, cream cheese, hot cross buns, plain rolls (cold), chocolate milk, coffee. Then Kim had her gifts after the dishes were washed, she had so many nice things, money, large amount all told. Then Dorothea and Jeff came, all had cake (it was beautifully made by Dorothea) and ice cream. Last guest left about 11:30 PM. Dawn enjoyed being here very much. All had sandwiches etc. in evening. PHONE CALL from CARMEN. We was very pleased and all enjoyed talking with her.

 






 

 

Monday, April 12, 1982 Kim 16

 

Snow went a lot today. It seems so good to see the bear grounded in many places. I went to town, got a chicken for Kim’s birthday supper. Also I did a big wash and ironing. Had for supper chicken, mashed potatoes, asparagus, salad, gravy, cukes and toasted English muffins and cake. Kim was pleased. She is now 16 years. Billie and Dorothea out looking for antiques. It was such a nice day. Bill didn’t do much.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment