The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 6, 2022

April 13 - 15, 1982

 

Tuesday, April 13, 1982 Bill to Dr. in Portland

 

This is a day of all weather. I washed windows, washed clothes etc. Billie took Susan to town. The big steer has the diarrhea now. Today Dorothea took Bill to the doctors in Portland for his eyes. Thursday the 22nd he has to go to the Osteopathic Hospital for eye operation, remove the cataract. Billie and Heidi still walking down through the field.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 14, 1982

 

Well, it was cloudy, some sun, on the cool side. I done my work and then went down to Fern’s. I helped her to fry donuts. She had quite good luck. A few soaked fat when the fat got cooled off. I came home, got my supper to going. Watched TV soaps.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 15, 1982 Dorothea and Bill out buying antiques, no luck, Kim had friends for supper. AFS student at her house

 

A very nice sunny and very warm day. The snow went a lot and the sun brought many bare spots out the fields. It seems so good to have days like this. I done up my work, got ready and went to town. Came home, I went down to Betty’s. I helped her, I cleaned up her kitchen, swept, dusted, cleaned up the stove, washed the windows. Betty cleaned up the barn. Then she cleaned up the house. We got a roast beef supper to going. I watched TV down there then I came home and finished watching them here. I got supper. Kim had a guest for supper. They went to the gym exhibition. Then when she came home at 10 PM the AFS came home with her, will be here until Sunday morning. Walt took car to get fixed.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment