The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

April 2 - 5, 1982 Dorothea Starts A Business

Friday, April 2, 1982 checks came, Ebony came home in poor condition

 

Well it is been a beautiful sunny mild day. I cleaned up the house some, washed some windows, worked on the papers. Dorothea called. Betty came up. Ebony came home tonight, bag and baggage. Hope she gets to feeling better soon. Bill and Delores went down and cashed the checks.

 



 

 

 

 

Saturday, April 3, 1982

 

Well it started out nice and clear, but it got cloudy and it snowed and rained. What a miserable day this turned out to be. I was busy all day though. Doing the work and all. I didn’t get anything more done on these papers though. Billie went with Butch. Walt, Betty and kids hauled wood. Kimmy didn’t go to the meeting, it was canceled. So she took a nice long rest this afternoon. Betty got a call From Cathy and Marc this PM. Ebony is feeling better. She has a long way to go to get back.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 4, 1982 TWO NEW CALF, STEER AND HEIFER

 

Another one of those all kinds of weather days. It was warm in forenoon, but now it is cold. Snow flurries, rain, wind, an awful day. I sure hope it will settle down to nice sunny and warmer days soon. I been busy all day. Kim up for breakfast. David came for coffee. Zak called. Walt and Zak came for the dump. I wrote out my bills and wrote Carmen and Esther. Billie bought two new steers from Butch today. Poor critters will freeze if you don’t warm up soon. Billie gone with Butch again today.

 

 

 

Monday, April 5, 1982 Dorothea got finances to start her business

 

Well, it started out very cloudy but it cleared late in PM. I did a big wash. Called at Betty’s. Ebony doing well. I went to town this morning. Dorothea called, she has her finances to start her business. I did my ironing, sent a letter to Carmen and Esther. Susan called in late PM. Betty sent flowers to Betty Smith.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment