The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 16, 2022

May 21 - 23, 1982

 

Friday, May 21, 1982

 

 

 

A very nice day. Today Betty and Carmen came up and painted the kitchen. We cleaned the fancy dish cupboards. The kitchen looks very nice, a tan color. Dave starts his vacation.

 

 



 

Saturday, May 22, 1982 FROST

 

A nice day, on the cool side. I been busy all day. I done up all the regular work. Made rolls, baked some beans. I cleaned the sitting room and got that all settled. I got to get some new lace curtains. Carmen came up and finished the bathroom. Kim came up and Zak called. Billie plowed for Dr. Weary today.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 23, 1982

 

Partly cloudy day. I didn’t get up until 7:15. Dorothea and Dave came, we talked a while. After they went we had breakfast. They had had theirs. I done up the work which took till about 10. Then I cleaned up the whole house. Billie cleaned paint. I cleaned all around the kitchen windows, scoured all the smoke and nicotine. I washed, ironed the curtains, did an ironing. Then I got supper. It looks some better with the windows washed and clean curtains. Billie gone in PM. Bill watched TV all day. Zenya at Carmen’s today. Kim to work.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment