The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, May 2, 2022

March 29 - April 1, 1982 Betty Smith Retires

 

Monday, March 29, 1982

 

I did my washing, done regular work. A very nice day, a dite on the cold side. Snow didn’t melt much. What a mess we have of snow. I worked on my papers for Thena. Kim called.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 30, 1982 Bobby began taking milk

 

A quite nice day. I did a lot of jobs today. I ironed, defrosted refrigerator. Washed windows, washed floors. Regular work. Ebony is sick. She is going to have the vet for her. Bill to the Dr. today for the checkup. Blood count down some. Billie and Heidi out on the crust still each morning. They had been walking every morning for over a month. Walt up to Bangor for meeting for three days. He will call to see Carmen. She has a bad cold too. A sunny day so the snow melted some. Betty and Dorothea called on Joy. Billie down to Fern’s. I worked on the family date records etc. again.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 31, 1982 Betty Smith retired after 31 years at Pratt & Whitney

 

Well it is cloudy today. David called. Betty took her car over to have some work done on it. Betty Smith retired from Pratt & Whitney after working for them for 30 years in Connecticut.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 1, 1982

 

A quite nice day, it was some clouds in a.m. but sun came out and it was nice and mild. Snow settled down a lot today. Betty took Delores and I to town. I washed the windows in the living room today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment