The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 7, 2022

April 16 - 19, 1982 AFS Student Visits

Friday, April 16, 1982

 

A very nice day. It was sunny and warm. The snow went a lot today. It was quite thin when Billie and Heidi took their walk down through the field. Kim’s friend Robin went to school with her today. Tonight they went to Sue Haypenny’s for supper. Zak to the movies with Dorothea and Rager kids. I washed windows etc. Cooked scallops for supper.

 



 

 

 

 

Saturday, April 17, 1982

 

Well it has been cloudy most all day. I done up my work. I swept, dusted, changed beds, washed floors, did some cooking. Zak came up and stay this forenoon, came for breakfast, he watched TV, but didn’t feel very good and went home. He was in bed most of the day. Well the snow went a lot today and it went a lot last night too. The fields all bare but a lot of water. Kim and friend and rest of the AFS students all went to LL Beans, to the sightly places in Portland and along the coast etc. They had a good time. Kim and Robin Ford, her guest, called in here on way home. They were completely tired out.

 

Desk from Alice Boynton

 

 

Sunday, April 18, 1982

 

A quite nice day, sunny but windy. I didn’t get up until 7:15. I got breakfast, did regular work. Kim’s company left this morning. Went to the high school to go to Portland to get the bus. Kim had a good time and enjoyed but she is exhausted, completely tired out. Bill and Dorothea went down to Alice Boynton’s and got some antiques this morning. Kim called in this morning and stayed for a long while. Dorothea called and showed me her antiques.

 

 

 

 

Monday, April 19, 1982 Began my cleaning, vacation week

 

Mostly clear, a few fair weather clouds. Dorothea and David called. I did my wash then Dorothea and I went looking for antiques. She went a long distance but nothing til she got back to Bridgton. She got a sideboard and a old milk can someone gave her. That came from Raymond. I hope she will have better luck soon. I cleaned draws and cupboards in the bathroom today. The snow is nearly all gone now except small patches of the banks. Kim sick this forenoon. Walt sick in PM.

 

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment