The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 1, 2022

March 26 - 28, 1982

 

Friday, March 26, 1982

 

Well it has been an awful rain today and fog. It cleared late this PM. I worked on my papers for Thena today. I got quite a lot done. It rained so hard it was mild and a lot of fog. The snow settled. David called. Carmen came up for a while. She ate some breakfast with Billie. Bill is about the same, doing quite well. Got his appointment to go to Portland for his eye April 13.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 27, 1982

 

A sunny day. I done regular work and Saturday work. I don’t do anymore cooking. I make bread Saturday. I washed floors, windows, ironed etc. etc. Carmen came up and got her clothes. Zak called in PM. It is cold and has been all day. Wind is awful. Billie been in and out all day. Kim to work.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 28, 1982 NEW CALF CAME, BLACK AND WHITE HEIFER WENT, COLD, David Thomas 40 years, Carmen gone back to school

 

A very nice sunny day but it was very cold and windy. Well this morning it is clear and sunny. I didn’t get up till after seven. I got up, got the breakfast. David came. Carmen came. David had coffee, Carmen had breakfast. Then she visited and said those goodbyes. She went home. She, Kim and Walt left about 915 to take Kim to get her glasses and to take Carmen to the bus station. But the Gordons asked her (Carmen) to ride up with their girl, she did. Walt came home, was sick. The Kim got will out and stayed here. Zak and Betty came up and had breakfast. Kim had some toast. Betty and Zak went home. Kim went up to Dorothea’s with us. Also we called at Tom and Charlene’s. Dorothea’s House of Old looks very very nice and attractive. Kim to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment