The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 21, 2022

June 6 -9, 1982

Sunday, June 6, 1982

 

Another miserable day. Anyway we got the flowers set out in the gardens. Then I put some things away in the truck. This morning Kim and Carmen came up for breakfast. Also David was here. I done up the regular work. A very miserable rainy day. Kim babysitting. 2 AM this morning she got home from last night’s babysitting.

 

 

 

Monday, June 7, 1982

 

Well it has been a quite miserable day. Late tonight it cleared off some. I did a big wash. Also some other odds and end jobs. Zak called in late PM. I watched the TV in PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 8, 1982 bedding, calf at David’s

 

Well after some clouds it turned out to be a nice day, on the cool windy side. I did a wash and ironed. I did my hair to get it ready for perm tomorrow. Billie hauled some more bedding from Norway. Betty came up, also Kim dropped in. David’s cow finally had her calf. A white bull. She went nine months and 13 days.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 9, 1982 Permanent at Janet’s

 

Well it turned out to be a very good day. I went over to Janet’s and got my permanent. I came home, we got the top on the back porch. Got the chairs washed and that is all ready for summer. I did a wash today. Kim came up to get her clothes, a skirt and blouse. We cooked steaks on the grill outside. They were good. Zak was up for supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment