The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

May 27 - 29, 1982

 

Thursday, May 27, 1982

 

A very nice hot day. I got ready, Carmen took us to town. I came home, did an ironing, washed windows, put up my new living room curtains. Had a late supper. Billie busy all day. Bill up to Dorothea’s and done a few odd jobs for her. She is getting her shop ready to open. I took over some papers and some books etc. Carmen went fishing and caught a 12 inch or 14 inch long Brook Trout. She was some excited and Tara too. Billie and I called at Dorothea and Dave’s. It looks so nice and is a beautiful place. Her shop, she has just done wonders. It’s very clean and attractive. I hope she does very well in her business.

 



 

 

 

 

Friday, May 28, 1982

 

It has been a quite nice day. I began putting things back in order in the house as it got a little crossed up during housecleaning. Bill and I went down to take the cleaning down. Also I took some crayons down to the day care center. Came home and Betty and Billie had moved the trunk in the breezeway and vacuumed my house and so then Betty, Carmen and I went to Bradlee’s and got some new kitchen curtains. They are beautiful. I like them very much. The house is all cleaned out, looks very nice Thanks to Carmen, Betty, Dawn and Billie. It has been cleaned and painted. Ilan helped David on his tree. I washed today. Kim went over to Denmark with Debbie and Gwen for a cookout, no school as they were signing up for next year’s classes.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 29, 1982

 

Well another rainy day. Yet it has been quite good most of the week. But rained hard today. I got my house all straightened out. It looks very good. Made bread, rolls, three apple pies, washed floors. Changed beds, dusted, cleaned rest of the screens and Billie took all the light shades down and I washed the them. Kim went to the high school AFS Spring Fling. She had a good time and then went to work, got home at 12:30. Carmen and Lisa up fishing then after that they played cards with the Bingham boys till 3 AM. They had a good time. Carmen went to the christening of the Songo River Queen (the new one).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment