The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

April 27 - 30, 1982

 

Tuesday, April 27, 1982 Bill to Dr.

 

Not a real good day. I went to Betty’s a little while in the morning. Dorothea came, she took Bill to the Dr. (Dr. Lawrence Miller) his eye doctor. He said his eye is coming along good. I cooked a chicken dinner. Made custard pudding, one for us, one for Betty. Walt brought the car back, it is fixed. All trouble was the front tires. It was the wrong size. Kim called after school. I cleaned the wall cabinet in Bill’s bathroom and towel cabinet. The car works and drives so much better.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 28, 1982

 

Well another day of clouds and rain showers. It rained most last night. Cold too all day. Anyway I cleaned the electric stove and refrigerator inside and out. Also the wall cabinet and towel cabinet in Billie’s bathroom and watched my TV soaps in PM. Bill’s eye getting much better. I made scalloped potato for supper.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 29, 1982 a nice sunny day

 

Well I got on the wrong page, this is the Thursday. It was nice and sunny, clear when we got up. I wrote out store list etc. and went to town with Dorothea and Delores. Came home and didn’t get any cleaning done today.

 

 

 

Friday, April 30, 1982

 

Well the sun came out very nice and clear this morning. I done up the work then I cleaned the cupboards up over refrigerator. The cloak cupboard and the one next to the kitchen in this room. It has been cold and windy. Billie fencing down to Walt’s. Betty finished cleaning her upstairs this day. All done, it looks nice.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment