The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 28, 2020

March 12 - 15, 1977

Saturday, March 12, 1977 a very nice sunny mild day

 

A most beautiful day. I had the doors and windows open. I did a wash, they dried so good. I made bread and rolls and a cake. Baked beans. Washed floor, dusted, busy all day. In late a.m. Bill, Walt, Betty and Zak went to Norway, also over to South Paris to call on Lloyd. About the same. In late p.m. Dorothea, David and Fern came for afternoon and supper. They called on Lloyd too. We was so glad they came. Betty and kids came also. Betty’s company didn’t come until after supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 13, 1977

 

A dreary rainy day. Billie went with Lawrence. I done regular work, ironed. No one here except Betty and Walt called a minute. It has rained all day. I finished the puzzle. Fern over to see Lloyd, he is in another room and the guy in the room there is awful.

 

 

 

Monday, March 14, 1977 RAIN, NO SCHOOL

 

It has been a very bad rainy day. I wrote to Esther, done my regular work. Made a pie. Because of the heavy rains, flooding in some places, bad roads, there wasn’t any school. Zak up here. Betty is having a meeting. I took a gallon of milk over to Susan and Billie. Susan hurt her eye quite bad, it is swollen and dark.

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 15, 1977 PAPA’S 107th BIRTHDAY, NO SCHOOL

 

No school again today. It didn’t rain, but cloudy all day. Many roads have been closed. We have had some very heavy rains for three days. I done my regular work, down to Betty’s a little while. I did a dite of washing. Kim up here a little while. Zak down to Fern’s all day. Betty had a meeting at the house, the high officials. Billie home in p.m. No steel at the plant. He was sick and was in bed all p.m.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment