The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

February 20 - 23, 1977

Sunday, February 20, 1977

 

A busy day. We had a birthday dinner for Betty. Carmen and Kim helped me get ready. A roast pork dinner, custard pie and whipped cream cake. Dawn and Fern here for dinner besides the regular families. Later Dorothea and Dave came and here for supper. All had a good time. Walt and Zak walk down through the field after dark in the blowing snow. Got about 6 inches of snow and windy.

 

 

 

Monday, February 21, 1977

 

Today is the holiday in observance of Washington’s Birthday, which is tomorrow. Billie didn’t work. He went up to Chet’s. Bill worked on the boat he is repairing for Mr. Saltman. I did a wash, cleaned up the house from yesterday. Zak came up, so did Carmen. A quite nice day. Rowena Robinson Marcia called on Betty all day.

 

 

Tuesday, February 22, 1977

 

Some cloudiness, on the cool windy side. I done my regular work. Ironed before daylight. I made two apple pies and a banana pie. Mended and read on some more of the book, Roots. I also did some washing. Bill didn’t do much, Ilan called. Betty had company.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 23, 1977

 

I done up my regular work, it was mild all day. Bill and Ilan up to the Lake a little while. Carmen up here to call a minute. Betty had the coffee group at her house today. Also a lot of other company. Kimmy had company. Zak had kids to play with. Vet came for the heifer. A beautiful day.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment