The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 19, 2020

February 6 - 8, 1977 Carmen Birthday Party

 

Sunday, February 6, 1977

 

Got up about 7 AM, done up my work. Got breakfast over and then went down and got Fern and down to Betty’s for Carmen’s birthday. It was nice. She got $35 in money, clothes, boots, poster to color from Zenya, books etc. Had ice cream and cake which Dorothea made. David, Dorothea, Fern, Dawn, Betty’s family and us, Bill, Billie and me. A nice day. LLOYD not good.

 



ZAK!! hahahah

Aunt Fern - probably worrying about Uncle Lloyd






I wonder what Nanny is thinking in this photo?!?

Hhaaaappy Birthday.........

 

 

 

 

Monday, February 7, 1977

 

A quite nice day, on the partly cloudy, not at all cold. Betty took Kimmy to the orthodontist or dentist in South Portland. She is taking Dorothea in and they will call to see Lloyd. He isn’t too good, getting weaker. Betty got home before noon. We called at Fern’s to tell her about Lloyd. He isn’t too good. Dr. said he had had another shock. I ironed, done up my regular work, worked on puzzle. Wind blowed a lot.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 8, 1977 A most gorgeous day

 

Up early, done up my work, down to Betty’s. We got ready and went to Portland to see Lloyd. He is some better. Still a dite confused but weak. Got home at 1:30. This is the most beautiful day, very mild. I worked on puzzle and made a custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment