The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 13, 2020

January 13 -16, 1977

 

Thursday, January 13, 1977

 

A very nice day. Roads are still icy and traveling not good except the main roads. I done regular work. Got ready and we went down to Fern’s. She is quite upset. Betty done a lot of phone calling for her today about the Medicaid and the MSSI. Then we were down there in p.m. Bert called and in evening and Walt was there. Bill didn’t do much today. Billie to dentist. Carmen and Zenya called after school.

 


Carmen on Angel, Zenya on Ebony






 

 

 

 

Friday, January 14, 1977

 

A quite nice day, on the mild side. I done my work up and went to town. I done a lot of odds and end jobs. Dawn down to Betty’s. We was down to Fern’s today also. My new pens came today.

 

Flicka is 8 months old




 

 

 

 

Saturday, January 15, 1977

 

A quite nice day, sunny and mild. I done a lot of work, made a pie, bread and rolls and we had Fern up here for beans supper. She enjoyed it, was quite depressed. Billie, Zak and Walt to Norway. Kim up here than to Girl Scouts. Billie was busy all day shoveling etc. They cleaned off the roofs. Lloyd called Fern, he is home sick.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 16, 1977

 

Partly cloudy some sun. I did regular work, washed. Down to Fern’s a little while in a.m. Came home, done a few things. About 2 PM Betty called and said if we wanted to we would go to Portland and see Lloyd so we did. Fern has been so upset. So that did her a lot of good. Dorothea rode in with us. Lloyd about the same. Billie up to Chet’s, his legs are swollen bad. I called Ava Grover Hunt at SMH. She is very sick.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment