The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, December 24, 2020

February 24 - 27, 1977

Thursday, February 24, 1977 cloudy

 

It has been cloudy, not very cold. I done up my work, down to Betty’s to help them cleaned the house up to get ready for company. Before we got it done Sandra called, they aren’t coming. I came home at noon. Zak came. Then I took care of him and Susan’s two kids while she took Fern to the hospital to see Lloyd. He is about the same. I worked on my puzzle some but three kids banging, running around etc. not much you can do. In evening we were, Betty, Kim and I, going to the hospital to see Lloyd but the traveling was so bad we didn’t. Betty went down to fix Ferns garage door. Bill and Ilan up on Little Moose Pond fishing, no luck. Home at noon.

 

 

 

Friday, February 25, 1977 SNOW SLEET + RAIN

 

It rained last night and today it is raining, sleeting and snow. I done my regular work, read my papers. I worked on the puzzle some. In evening we went to the hospital. Lloyd about the same except weaker. It cleared late in p.m. Carmen came up for supper, was going to stay all night, but got sick. So Kimmy stayed. Bill took me to town in p.m. to shop. I ironed.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 26, 1977 BEAUTIFUL DAY, 40 to 45 temp, Vet

 

A most beautiful day, sunny and very mild. I done regular work, washed floor, dusted, made a cake. I washed, clothes dried so good. I got them in and ironed. Kim here most of the day. Then she went home and went down to Dawn’s to stay all night. Carmen came up and stayed all night. Betty took Fern to hospital to see Lloyd. He is just the same. Billie had the vet for cow, a bowel condition.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 27, 1977

 

A partly cloudy day, I done my regular work. And washed. Carm went home early. Billie up to see Chet. I got the clothes in and washed.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment