The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

December 26 - 29, 1976

Sunday, December 26, 1976 Snowing

 

I didn’t do only the regular work, very lame. I read old papers. Billie went up to see Chet. He is about the same. Tonight Carmen came up and got my supper and done all my dishes. I am very pleased with my new corner cupboard. I’ll be glad when Bill gets a painted.

 

 

 

Monday, December 27, 1976

 

I did some washing today. Also I ironed. It was quite cold but the clothes dried real good. My leg is better. Billie and Walt back to work. Bill did the snow plowing.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 28, 1976 King

 

Fair and nice in the morning. I got ready and we went to Portland. Betty had many errands to do at the Mall and Zayre’s. Benoit’s, Loring, Short and Harmon. We got home at about 4 PM. Zak and Kimmy went. My leg is better. Also we called at Dorothea’s. She said King died last night. Betty saw Jeff in the store where he works at Zayre’s. Lloyd not very good. Billie went up to see him.

 

 

Wednesday, December 29, 1976 A bad storm

 

A bad snow storm today. Snow, wind and blew it. It was very bad along the coast. I didn’t do much today. Bill put first coat of varnish on the new corner cupboard. Mr. and Mrs. Phil Saltman called in late p.m. Zak went home today. He has been playing with his Lego set, he enjoys it very much. Betty down to see Lloyd. He is about the same.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment