The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 18, 2020

February 2 -5, 1975 Carmen turns 14

Wednesday, February 2, 1977 nice mild day

 

Today we went to Portland with Betty. She went to the dentist.  Fern and I and we picked up Dorothea, went in to visit with Lloyd. He wasn’t as good as last time we saw him. It was very late when we got home. It was a nice mild day.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 3, 1977 $213 Social Security Bill, $92.80 me

 

I done up my work. I washed and after the checks came we went to town. I done my shopping etc. Dawn came up to Betty’s for the day. A very nice mild day.

 

 

 

Friday, February 4, 1977 HAIR SET

 

A quite nice mild day, it seems so good after all the bad cold weather we have had and all over the country. I done my regular work, to town with Betty. She took me over to June’s. I got my figuring all done up. And a few other jobs. Lloyd isn’t very good, he is very home sick. Also weak Muriel said when she called Fern. Betty and I called at Fern’s late in evening. I invited Zak up here to stay tonight, he is very pleased, also rest of the family.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 5, 1977 Carmen a 14-year-old

 

This is Carmen’s 14th birthday. As of today she is one of the most perfect of all. A nice smart girl. She came up here for breakfast. Billie gone down to the coast fishing with Lawrence. I have done my regular work. Zak has been very good all day. Bill relaxing all day. Kimmy to Scouts. LLYOD not very good.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment