The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

December 3 - 6, 1976

Friday, December 3, 1976 COLD

 

A beautiful day but very COLD. This is been a very cold day, some wind. Tonight it is 15 below. I done up my regular work, washed and worked at my Christmas list etc. Done my figuring of monthly bills, checks came today. We cash them etc., paid bills, got some groceries. Bill up early and out plowing. My Sears order came today.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 4, 1976

 

Fair in a.m. Cloudy in p.m. I done regular work, changed the beds, washed sheets. I dusted, washed floors, made bread and rolls. Ironed. Went to Betty’s in a.m. Zak not too good. Kim still sick with a cold. Walt worked out in the woods. In p.m. Fern, Betty and I went down to the hospital to see Lloyd. Still not feeling too good yet. Billie and Carmen over to Norway and Twitchell’s today. Not so cold.

 

 

 

Sunday, December 5, 1976 Very Cold

 

It got warmed up during the day some. I done up my regular work. I did a wash. I made a pie and cake. Dorothea and David called in PM, also Betty called. Betty took Fern to the hospital to see Lloyd. He is about the same. Billie up to see Chet, he is pretty good. Bill and Billie put a storm window in out in the barn.

 

 

 

Monday, December 6, 1976

 

Done regular work. Then got ready and went to Portland and finished up the shopping. We didn’t get home until 8 PM. Lloyd not very good yet. Quite weak.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment