The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, December 3, 2020

December 7 - 10, 1976 Carmen Got a Haircut!

 

Tuesday, December 7, 1976 RAIN ALL DAY

 

It was sleety when we got up. Then it turned all to rain and rained hard all day. I done up my work. Washed, went down to Betty’s. I dried my clothes down there. We done Christmas wrapping etc. In p.m. she took the cloth down to Dawn’s for her to make the blankets for the kids beds. I wrapped some packages in p.m.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 8, 1976 COLD AND WINDY, CARMEN HAIRCUT

 

Nice and clear but it has been the coldest day, the wind was awful. I did a dite of wash down to Betty’s to help her get ready for company first thing this morning. Coffee group. I went to town early p.m. to get vegetables for my boiled dinner. It was very good for supper. Bill and I took Fern to hospital to see Lloyd. He is all right and coming home Friday. No school in PM. CARMEN GOT HAIRCUT. Now we can see her face. She is a very nice-looking girl. I like it. I hope she will and her folks too.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 9, 1976

 

We went to New Hampshire in a.m. then to Norway in p.m. Took Fern with us, she had a good time. Then she came up to Betty’s for supper. Then in evening we went to BJHS concert, it was very good. Carmen had a part. It was awful cold.

 

 

 

Friday, December 10, 1976

 

A very cold day. I washed, done some odd jobs, down town in p.m. and then Betty, Fern and I to the hospital to see Lloyd. He is still wetting. Came home, cooked a fish supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment