The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

February 16 - 19, 1977 Betty and Joy's Birthdays

 

Wednesday, February 16, 1977 a very nice day

 

Another very nice day, sunny and quite mild. I done my regular work and a dite of cooking. I cooked a fowl hen for supper and one for Betty’s supper. Betty to coffee group in a.m. Took Fern to hospital and then she went down to Dawn’s. Susan and Monica called this forenoon. Billie and Susan down to see Lloyd in p.m. Lloyd isn’t very good. Gets weaker all the time. Bill fishing all day.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 17, 1977 Betty 34 today

 

Much colder this morning, four below. A nice sunny day. March winds are beginning to blow. I did a wash and a dite of cooking. Bill away all day fishing. Betty is 34 years today. Carmen went shopping for her birthday after school. Billie Deming took Fern to NCM Hospital to see Lloyd. His condition is the same.

 

 

 

Friday, February 18, 1977 LLOYD BETTER a very nice sunny mild day

 

Joy’s birthday 39 years. It has been a most beautiful sunny day. I done up my regular work. Down town shopping with Betty. I don’t like to have to go with Betty because I know it is inconvenient for her. Zak to school late. Betty and he discussed to school problem. Betty took Fern to hospital. Lloyd better today. Zak up here for all night. Betty had a nice birthday party. It has been a mild day.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 19, 1977

 

It was kind of cloudy in yet a.m. some sun at times but it was mild. I have been very busy making preparations for tomorrow. Zak went home at 10 AM. Vince came over to play with him. Then they went over to Vince’s for lunch. Billie and Carmen down to Lawrence. Carmen here for breakfast. Billie bought a steer today of Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment