The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, August 22, 2024

September 5 - 7, 1990

 Tuesday, September 4, 1990 School begin

 

 A quite nice day, on the coolish side in mid p.m. It was sunny and nice. Kim and Tom still at camp. Walt home sick today. Betty's foot still not very good. She came up a minute. Carmen and I went to Norway a while to do errands. I washed. Carmen got the supper, it was a delicious meal. Several people have looked at the car today and before. School began today, a quite nice day.

 

 

 

 Wednesday, September 5, 1990

 

 A partly cloudy day, not too warm. I got up early. I got the breakfast. Got the work done. Took a bath. Get ready to go to the eye doctor. My eye is doing very well. All I have to do is just a few drops daily. Billie went along to his eye doctor. He still has to wear his patch at night. He is okay now. He’ll have glasses in three weeks. I can get mine in 2 weeks. Tonight Carmen again got a delicious supper and made a very good hot apple pie. We had Betty S and Betty H for supper. They enjoyed it very much. Walt is still sick. Carmen took Billie to Portland for his checkup, back home and to town, North Bridgton picked up Betty Smith.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 6, 1990 Tom and Kim

 

 A partly cloudy day. I did a few odd jobs this morning. We shelled beans that Billie, Carmen and Brogan picked. Walt gone to visit some friends today. Betty didn't go. Tonight we had company for supper. Tom and Kim. We had a very nice supper, it was so good. We enjoyed having them. Hope they will come again soon. Kim has met a nice guy. I hope this engagement and coming marriage will net them a nice long life together.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment