The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 30, 2024

October 3 - 5, 1990 Walt Flew to DC

 

Wednesday, October 3, 1990 Eyes tested for glasses

 

Nice and sunny today. I went to the eye doctor to get my eyes tested for the glasses. It has been a very nice sunny mild day. I didn’t do much today. Carmen came and got the supper and other things she did. Billie, Betty, Carmen up helping to get the fence put up. Also Brogan up there having a ball with the kittens, hens etc. She loves it up there. Walt’s getting ready to go up to get the dock back. Also packed to go to see Zack tomorrow. Carmen took me to the eye doctor. Also did the shopping and wrapped the birthday gifts. How can I get along without her willing and helping hand? Billie too.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 4, 1990 Betty got first egg this morning. Walt gone to see Zack

 

 

This morning Walt and Betty left home at about 5:30 to go to the airport where Walt will take a plane to go to see Zack. I’m so glad. After all he hasn’t seen any of his next of kin for such a long time. I’d give 1 million to lay my eyes on him too. He will arrive there about 10:15. Anxious to hear what Walt will find out. Betty called in on way back from airport, brought Dunkin’ Donuts. David came, he had some. Carmen didn’t get up until afterwards. She had an appointment at the doctor. Brogan at her grandmothers. Billie got 20 bales of hay sold this morning to Bruce Campbell and 20 to Betty. Walt called home about 10:30 PM.

 

 

 

Friday, October 5, 1990

 

A beautiful day. I washed, made cocoa. Got most of the magazines and papers read. Then all hands worked at the shelter today putting up fencing etc. Billie, Betty, Carmen and Brogan and David did. Carmen get the supper and wash the floor. If it hadn’t been for David’s help they couldn’t have got the fence done.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment