The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 26, 2024

September 19 - 21, 1990 Nanny's Joy Ride

 

 Wednesday, September 19, 1990

 

Today I did something which I never never thought I’d do again at this ripe old age of 80 years. The kids thought up a idea to get me down on the lower lot. They took the lawn mower and I was put on and I drove it way down through the nine acre field and drove through Raymond's. Went way to the brook. Had a nice picnic down there, one of the most beautiful picnic areas. All enjoyed it so much. Dorothy, Betty H, Betty S, Carmen H, Kimberly H and 4-year-old Brogan HW. And all the dogs, Tara, Trinna, Cassie, Chelsea and Lassie. They too enjoyed very much. If I never lived to go again thank the Lord for this time. Billie mowed Walt’s fields all over today. Brogan had a very good time today. They all did. Dorothy and Betty played there as much as I used to. They loved it.

 






 






 


Thursday, September 20, 1990

 

A kind of a cold day. I did a washing. Get ready to go to Swampscott Nursing Home with Betty S and Dorothea. She was very glad we came down to see her. Too bad she had to go. Yet she is lucky in many ways. Carmen and I had a good boiled dinner tonight. Betty and Walt were here.  Watched TV soaps. It was a cloudy dreary pm. Carmen and Betty up to the Ridge House and shelter in p.m.

 

 

 

 

 Friday, September 21, 1990

 

A better day, more sunshine. I done the work, washed clothes. Also got that ironing done. Carmen came and cleaned. I wrote to Esther today. Carmen got some papers from the state to fill out. Billie mowed his pasture today. Betty had a sandwich this noon.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment