The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 4, 2024

July 2 - 4, 1990 4th of July

Monday, July 2, 1990

 

Kind of on the cloudy side. It cleared away in the late PM. Carmen came today. She did her garden and put plant grower on it. It looks very good. I did a wash and an ironing today. Carmen took care of my clothes for the summer. They hauled the chicken coop up from the pasture today for Carmen’s chickens. About 4 PM Zak came, he had been up to Bar Harbor looking for work. I wish him the best of good luck. He was here for supper than went down to see his folks then left for Vermont. Lucas Tree company trimmed the tree branches by here. David here this morning.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 3, 1990

 

Carmen came and cleaned. She has been busy all day. I didn’t do too much myself as usual. I did a washing and ironing. Kim called today and Betty H.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 4, 1990 HOT HOT AND HOT

 

Well I got up in pretty good time this morning to get ready to go to Twin Oaks for the day. It was very nice up there. Hot. They all went into the water. Guests were all the Hortons and Brogan except Zak. He was away. Dorothea and David and Fern, Kay and Phil, Joy, Cindy, Jay, Debbie, Jessica, Danica and Robert. Tom Harriman, Tom and Charlene. Carmen got a good dinner also Laurie, Jan and Alyssa. Bree, Kassie, Elsa, Lassie, Tara, Chelsea and Trinna. Betty and some of the girls stayed.

 

 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment