The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

August 28 - 31, 1990

 

Tuesday, August 28, 1990

 

Well, I went to Dr. Sherwood to have my eye checked. It is coming fine he said. It is very good looking. We got home today at about one. We went a little extra distance. Well they put the fence up in the field today. Billie and Jason. Betty took me all around over the farm today. Carmen done the horses today. David down to Dr. Doyle’s today to see what is causing so much pain all the time.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 29, 1990

 

This has been another nice sunny day. Not too hot. I been busy all day writing letters etc. Kim came, Betty came. Carmen and Bro here and went to town shopping. A letter from Esther and Cliff has gone to the Dr. for a examination for his problems with his digestion. My eye is better today. Wrote to Esther and to the home where Donny is. Dorothea called this evening. Betty and Kim came also.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 30, 1990 HOT

 

I read papers. Betty, Brogan, Carmen and I down in the woods for a while. A good trip. She had BLTs for supper. Betty and Walt here for supper.

 

 

 

Friday, August 31, 1990 $448, HOT

 

Made out bills today. A very nice sunny day. I ironed, done regular work. About 11 AM Betty, Carmen Brogan and I all went to Norway and Oxford shopping. Got Zak’s birthday gift. Got some things at the Smedburg vegetable stand. Carmen gone to movies with Jessica, Danica, Leeana and Brogan tonight. Betty and friends up to camp tonight. Edgar John’s death in paper today. Jason here today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment