The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 19, 2024

August 25 - 27, 1990 Nanny's has Cataract Surgery

 

Saturday, August 25, 1990

 

Fair in a.m., some clouds. It clouded up and rained in PM. Carmen and I went out touring around from Casco Maine to Fryeburg to North Conway and to Lovell, Sweden and home. She got a antique or two. Came home and read the papers. Sat on the back porch but it got cooler so came in. Carmen came, we had Italian sandwiches. Brogan left early this morning to go to Lewiston to her brother’s birthday. Dennis came and got her. She was very pleased to see him and go with him. David called, he don’t look very good. He is ill, he has kidney stones.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 26, 1990 HOT AGAIN

 

Walt up for coffee. I done up regular work. Looked at magazines etc. Carmen called and wanted to know if I wanted to go to camp for a quick hot dogs and hamburgers. Betty, Walt, Betty Smith and I. Kassie went up today for a swim. She liked it. In PM they had a baby shower at Debbie’s for Laurie. I didn’t go. Kim called on us, she made another one of those leisurely visits. Talked, we enjoyed it very much. They got home from the shower at about 5:30. Debbie sent up a nice batch of cookies. Very good. At about 6 Susan called a minute. Brogan got home from her dad’s at about 6 o’clock. She and Carmen up to camp. A lot of company up to camp in PM.

 

 

 

Monday, August 27, 1990 Eye operation today

 

Today I had the other cataract removed from my eye. The appointment was late in PM. It was done okay and all was in good shape. I got home at about 5:30. Betty had the supper all cooked. And awful thundershowers in late PM. I was so glad it was all over. Billie’s has come along very well with his eye, all okay now. Dorothea called and Betty this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment