The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 2, 2024

June 25 - 28, 1990

 

Monday, June 25, 1990

 

A very nice unusual kind of a day. I dite of fog, it soon cleared away and a bright sunny hot day. I did a washing and all the ironing, five dresses etc. Well Zack did call late in the PM yesterday. He didn’t talk or anything. He was quite down in spirits. Dorothea called today. She is quite good. Carmen came and got the supper. A good one. As we got ready to eat Zak came. He sat down and ate with us. He ate very little. He went down to see Betty and Walt for a few minutes. He left for Vermont at about 8 PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 26, 1990

 

A perfect day at last. It was nice and clear all day. Not too hot. I done up regular work. I cooked some macaroni and Carmen made a macaroni salad for supper. She and Brogan, Betty H, Betty S and Dorothea are all up to the Lake this PM. Jason worked at Betty’s all PM.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 27, 1990

 

Another nice hot day. Kind of cloudy in a.m. I done up regular work. Carmen came and I went down to see the chickens. They are very interesting, a variety bunch. I stayed down there for a little while. Kim brought me up. She and Betty came and had sandwiches with the rest of us. I watched shows this PM. Carmen took Billie down to get his haircut then she had to go to Windham and other places.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 28, 1990

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up regular work. I did a wash etc. The therapist came today for the last time. Carmen came and got supper. Dorothea came, she had been and got a new wig to wear to her class reunion. Betty called today. A breeze came up and it was a good hay day drying.

No comments:

Post a Comment