The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, August 1, 2024

June 21 - 24, 1990

Thursday, June 21, 1990 Rain Rain

 

Another one of those dark cloudy rainy days. Early this morning Zack came from Vermont to go to Portland. He had court business. I didn’t do much. Carmen came and cleaned the house. She went to get some garden vegetables in PM. I hope Zak had good luck today. He called at Dorothea’s later tonight, much down in the dumps. I love him no matter what. I hope he will see the light of day and do the right thing and the best.

 

 

 

Friday, June 22, 1990

 

Cloudy this a.m. It cleared away and it was sunny and hot rest of the day. I sat on the porch most of the day. I got rest of the papers read. Done some other jobs. I been thinking of Zack all day. I would like to know where he is and how he is. Carmen came and got the supper, brought goodies. Peach pie and gingerbread. Very good. He is a lost soul.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 23, 1990 Rain and Showers.

 

Well it has been a very dark dreary miserable day and some light thundershowers. Carmen over to Bucknell’s and picked 60 quarts of strawberries to sell. We bought 4 quarts. Also some greens. I worked out on the porch figuring etc. Done up the work. David and Elsa call this morning. Betty S and Betty H came, they brought some berries and greens. Had a good supper.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 24, 1990

 

Cloudy and foggy. It began to clear and fog rising at about 10 AM. It cleared away. I done up regular work. Walt up for coffee. Betty and Walt called. Walt harrowed the garden. Carmen did quite well in her business today. She came and got the supper, very good as usual. No word from Zack.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment