The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

September 22 - 25, 1990

 

Saturday, September 22, 1990

Cloudy and showers. David came this morning for coffee. I done regular work, read the papers. David fixed the door. Brogan gone today and for the night to her father's. This is been such a dreary day. Betty and Walt over to Lewiston for the paper, Business Report etc. Billie didn't do much today. He is glad of his new shoes. Carmen want here today. It was showery tonight. Quite heavy rain.

 

 

 

 Sunday, September 23, 1990

 

Well, this morning it became clear and sunny. It seemed good. Walt up for coffee. I cleaned my white shoes (summer), and put them away. It clouded up during the day. Brogan got home from her dad's as suppertime. Jason came and did some work for Billie.

 

 

 

 Monday, September 24, 1990

 

It dawned nice and sunny. I did a wash. Carmen and Brogan came. Betty called and Brogan and I went down to the back shed. I always enjoy going down anywhere. Carmen came and got a very good supper. I got a call from Phyllis this morning. They had a grandson born at 4:30, at 7:30 our time. Amy, his name is Jordan.

 

 

 

 Tuesday, September 25, 1990

 

 A very nice sunny mild day. In late p.m. it got windy and kind  of cool in the shade. Up early this morning. Got ready and went to Cumberland Fair, first time in my 80 years. It was a nice fair, not too crowded. Dorothy, Betty S, Betty H, Carmen, Brogan and I all went. We was a dite late getting started but had a nice day all around. Brogan liked riding on the rides etc.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment