The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, September 1, 2022

June 29 - July 2, 1983

Wednesday, June 29, 1983 MILAN ELLIOTT SMITH had open heart surgery today

 

A beautiful day. They came and finished the porch today. Dorothea here, we picked 5 quarts berries. I didn’t do very much today. Today at 11 AM Milan went to the operating room at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford Connecticut for open heart surgery. He came through okay. He is quite sick tonight Betty said. I’m so glad and relieved that it is over. I sure hope now he will feel much better from now on.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 30, 1983

 

A very nice day. It got a lot hotter. I got my work done up today then I got ready and we went to town. We got home, Betty came to paint. I went out and Billie and I picked about 23 quarts of nice juicy strawberries. Kim to work tonight after supper. Carmen called. I talked to Betty Smith and Milan is doing alright so far. He is still quite sedated.

 

 

 

Friday, July 1, 1983

 

I did some washing. We picked strawberries. I froze several jars. Carmen got through work early. Bill worked on the porch. A lot of traffic today, kids to town, got me some groceries. Kim had company in PM. Robert Robbins. She had to work tonight. Zak mowed lawns and helped Billie today.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 2, 1983 very hot and humid and thundershowers in PM

 

I done a lot of work beside regular work. We had Fern up for the day. She likes the back porch very much. She stayed till after supper. Betty, Walt up to camp. They called at Tom and Charlene’s in evening.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment