The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

September 12 - 15, 1983 Zak turns 14

 

Monday, September 12, 1983

 

I done a wash. I cooked a turkey for supper. It has been a nice hot day outside. Cool inside. Bill did the mowing with big tractor and Billie did his trimming. I watched TV soaps in PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 13, 1983 JOB CARMEN

 

A quite nice day. I defrosted the fridge. I made a pie, did some other odd jobs. Betty came and we went to Norway. I got a couple shirts for Zak’s birthday. We ate at Goodwins. Got home about 1:30. Today Carmen got a job at M (blank) in Raymond through the kindness of Weldon. She will be stocks department assistant manager. Very good benefits etc. Good pay.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 14, 1983

 

I got my work done up, I took a bath, shampooed my hair and got ready and before a wash a few other odd jobs then about 1 PM Carmen came. She took Fern and I down to Thena’s to the afternoon. She was very pleased we came down. She and Alan came for us about 4 PM. They got the roofs all done down to Walt’s except the ell over the kitchen. They got the skylight window in the dark bedroom also. Bill and Billie worked down to the spring yesterday.

 

 



 

Thursday, September 15, 1983 FIRST FROST, ZAK 14 YRS

 

A nice sunny day, on the cool. Had our first frost for the season. We went to town. I came home, done a dite of wash, a few other odds and end jobs. I got supper to going. Billie and Dorothea to Portland. Billie went to see his sugar doctor., Dr. Saunders. They got most of the work done at Betty’s today. Tonight we had Zak up for his 14th birthday supper. We had his favorite outdoor cooked steaks, corn on the cob, salad, hot rolls, cukes, baked potatoes, chocolate milk, chocolate pudding and whip cream. He ate a very good supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment