The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 17, 2022

August 29 - 31, 1983

Monday, August 29, 1983 Bill went to the hospital for a few days or a week

 

Cloudy all day. I done up the work. Did a wash, down to Betty’s to see her things. Came home. Billie and I picked shell beans. I got them ready all but one box and froze them. Dorothea called. Also Kimmy up for all night. Today Bill went to the doctors to get blood, he is very run down and looks bad, the Dr. had him come in to the hospital for a few days to get built-up. Dorothea wrote a letter for Billie, she took Bill’s pajamas down tonight.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 30, 1983

 

Cloudy all day except for a few brief sun clearings. I did a wash and worked on shell beans. I got most of them done during the day then I finished them in evening. Joy called a little while tonight. Barry and his father began on Betty’s porch today. Zak got his haircut today. It looks very good. He didn’t feel very good after he got home. He went to bed, headache, cramps in stomach, dizzy. About 11 PM he had a fever of 104. They took him to the hospital, they gave him some medication, it helped some. Started putting up the new fence.

 

Before

 

 




 

 

Wednesday, August 31, 1983 RAIN

 

Rained hard all night. It rained today hard most of the day. I cleaned up the back porch. I ironed, made a lemon meringue pie. Bill came home from hospital today, he is some better. Carmen and Alan went to Portland today. Carmen had some work done on her teeth. They looked nice. Zak in bed. He is still sick, dizzy, stomachache etc.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment