The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 10, 2022

August 1 - 4, 1983

Monday, August 1, 1983

 

A cloudy rainy day. I did a big wash. I picked green then got supper. I was busy all day. Billie in and out all day. Bill worked on the little house. We picked and had Swiss chard for supper. Ate inside. We love the new porch and eat on it all suppers if weather is permissible and breakfast if it is nice and sunny.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 2, 1983

 

A quite nice day. We had some showers in PM. I done up the work, wrote two letters, Kim and Esther. I went down to the little white house. Came home. Zak and Betty too, we had sandwiches for lunch. Billie to Portland for tests and x-rays. Dorothea and David’s mother took him.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 3, 1983 NEW RUG

 

I got up early and rushed around, got the work done and about eight they came to lay the porch rug. They did a good job and it is very pretty. We like it very much. Billie bought it for me. It makes the room looks so much better. Quite hot today. Betty and Zak came up, had lunch here. I went over to see the little house. It is nice. Bill and Zak are doing a good job on it.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 4, 1983 Sawdust

 

Another hot and humid day. I done up the work and went to town. I came home, got lunch. I picked beans, watched TV. Billie and Wayne Lyons got the sawdust, 80 bales hauled. Bill worked over to the little house. He was pooped when he got home, the heat was awful. Carmen came up a little while. Dorothea and Lorraine called on way to the shower. Tonight Kim called. I was very glad to hear from her. She is quite homesick. No one her age where she lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment