The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, September 24, 2022

September 23 - 25, 1983 Working on New Lean-to

 

Friday, September 23, 1983

 

A nice sunny day. I done up the work, washed. Billie and I went up to Waterford, got apples. I came home, made two pies. Dorothea came and she fixed my dresses and measured the curtains and took the curtains home to shorten. The beef dressed out very good. 545 pounds. We had a good supper tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 24, 1983

 

A nice day, on the coolish side. I done up my work. I washed floors etc. I made a pie, bread and rolls. I got ready and went down to Betty’s where they are working on the building storage shed. David was there. Bill, Walt, David and Billie and tractor put the big beans up across the front. I came home, had dinner and then they all went back, I took my bath and they pulled the studs up. Alan came up. Kim worked all day, she is sick with a cold. Billie brought the heart, liver and tongue home from the beef.

 

 

 

 

 

Sunday, September 25, 1983

 

A nice day, on the coolish side. I done up the work. Dorothea and David called and Joy in PM a.m. In PM Dorothea and David called again and Susan, Monica and a friend of Monica’s. I went down in PM where they was working on the shed. Alan, Carmen and Zak. Walt done other things then in late PM he helped some. Bill and Betty put up the rafters in a.m.

 



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment