The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

October 7 - 9, 1983 First Stone In Homeland Cemetery

 

Friday, October 7, 1983

 

A nice sunny day. I did a big wash. Milan and Betty called. Milan don’t feel very good. Dorothea and David came. Milan and Betty looked at some snaps. The man came about the gravestone. Milan showed him where to put it. Carmen and Alan came. They have to go to Portland with the car to have it checked out, cost $73. Then they came home and got ready to go. Betty here for supper. Milan down to Fern’s sick. Bill down to the hospital all day for a scanner test and get blood.









 

 

 

 

Saturday, October 8, 1983 Milan and Betty left, cleaned the living room

 

A quite nice day. I got up early. I got breakfast going. I watched from them to leave down to Betty’s. Carmen was up when I was. She came up here at about 10 of 6. Milan and Betty went down to Betty and Walt’s about 5:45. At 6 they all left. Milan still not feeling too good. Dorothea came, she and I called at Fern’s. We came home. Betty Smith called me at 11:10, they had got home about five minutes of 11. Walt drove them down because Milan want very good. Carmen and Alan went down to stay at Vi’s to paint the house this week. Kim babysitting all day. Zak worked all day.


 

 

 

 

Sunday, October 9, 1983

 

This has been a beautiful day. Sunny, on the coolish side. I dite breeze. I done up the regular work and did what I didn’t get done on Saturdays work. Washed floors and did the dusting. David came and helped Billie.  they got the plow off the tractor, oil changed etc. Betty and Walt came. Dorothea called. Delores got locked out of her house, the lock closed by accident. Kim gone over to Sun Rock with some friends for tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment