The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 12, 2022

August 9 - 12, 1983

 

Tuesday, August 9, 1983

 

A very nice sunny day, quite hot during the day. In evening it was cooler and windy. Betty, Zak and I to Portland and I got five new dresses. Also some toilet articles. Betty didn’t get anything. Zak got a new book. Had a nice ride to the new looking mall. Called at Dorothea’s and we came home. She liked my dresses very much. I do too, very pretty.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 10, 1983 on the cool side

 

It was much cooler today. I done regular work, watched my shows. Picked vegetables. Had T-bones cooked out steaks. Billie mowed up to Charlene’s. Bill worked at Betty’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 11, 1983

 

I got my work done up and got ready. Betty came, we went to town. I came home about 12:30. I got dinner and supper to going. Susan and Monica and Jessie came then I watched my shows. Carmen called.

 

 

 

Friday, August 12, 1983 rain, hair set

 

It has rained all day. It began last night. I got my work done up and then I went to town to Barbara’s to get my hair set. We took Fern. She went to Frances Clayton’s and got hers done. I came home, washed, made a pudding and done some other odd jobs. Billie around calling on different ones, at Fern’s, Dorothea’s. Carmen didn’t work only a few hours. Walt got through early. Carmen called this morning. Kim leaves the school tomorrow.

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment