The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 19, 2022

September 5 - 8, 1983 Back to SCHOOL!

Monday, September 5, 1983 Labor Day, HUMID

 

I did a wash, didn’t do too much. A very hot and humid day. Betty, Walt, Kim and Zak up to North Conway to shop. Dorothea done a good business today. Monica called to get some corn.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 6, 1983 Kim Senior, Zak VIII grade

 

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. Well another year of school began today. Bill and I went down to see the kids all dressed up for school. They looked very nice. Carmen and Alan to Portland today. Our pump from the spring sprung a leak in the pipe. Had to hook onto the barn well. Bill in to the Dr. for checkup.

 





 

 

Wednesday, September 7, 1983

 

Not quite so hot and humid today. It is on the cloudy side with showers expected. We didn’t get any. We picked things from the garden. I did some ironing. It didn’t rain today. Carmen called. She is looking for work. I hope she soon finds something.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 8, 1983

 

To town with Betty. We got home in fairly good season. I got lunch, done up the work. I got my supper to going. I watched TV soaps in PM. In evening Betty and I down to Fern’s. Came home as Betty had to go up to Charlene’s then I was expecting Carlton and Phyllis. They came about 9 PM, had a nice visit with them. They are looking old. Dorothea called, she was quite shook up and upset.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment