The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, September 9, 2022

July 29 - 31, 1983

Friday, July 29, 1983 DOROTHEA JEAN CROOK THOMAS 46 BIRTHDAY

 

HOT HUMID and Muggy today, it rained in forenoon. I went to town early. I came home, made cookies and a cake. I picked some string beans for supper. Bill worked at Betty’s in PM. Billie up to Dorothea’s and to town. Betty and Walt are planning to go out for supper tonight. Their wedding anniversary. Dorothea is 46 years today. Carmen left about 5:30 PM to go up to visit Kim in Boston for the weekend. Kim will feel so pleased. Zak staying up tonight.

 

 

Saturday, July 30, 1983

 

Another very hot and humid day. I dite breeze once in a while. I been very busy all day. Done up the regular work. Made bread, washed floors. Zak here all forenoon, he watched TV some. We picked a lot of string beans and cukes. Billie picked raspberries. Bill took it easy, he watched baseball all PM. Betty, Walt and Zak and Tara up to camp today.

 

 

Cody getting ready to dive

Mr. Long Jeans

 

Sunday, July 31, 1983

 

A nice day. I got up a dite earlier and I got the breakfast and got the work done up from that. Then I started getting ready for supper. I stuffed turkey and got that into cook, made two salads, prepared the beans and cukes etc. They all came early and Carmen got home early enough to eat with us. It was a celebration of Dorothea’s birthday and Betty and Walt’s wedding anniversary. They all got here on time, Betty and family, all by Kim. Dorothea and David and David’s mother and Fern. Susan and kids called a minute.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment