The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, September 5, 2022

July 14 - 17, 1983

Thursday, July 14, 1983

 

A nice day, no wind, on the hot side. I done up the work. Got ready, went to town with Betty. Dorothea took Delores. We took the bed on the porch outside to air it out today. I did a washing. Zak mowed lawns. Billie busy all day. Bill didn’t do much today. Carmen out looking for a job all day, NOTHING. She is getting discouraged. She is very tired too.

 

 

 

Friday, July 15, 1983 a quite hot and humid day

 

I got up early, got my work done up. Picked a row of peas. A box of strawberries (no more). Billie picked a box too. Then he went over to get Dot. She came over and spent the day. She seemed pleased to come and enjoyed it very much. Went home after supper. Lorraine called Dorothea. Called Zak up and trimmed lawns. Betty and Carmen came for a minute. A quite hot humid day. Nice though. It’s the last of the strawberries and Billie mowed the old plants down and hauled away.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 16, 1983 MOVED BUILDINGS TO BETTY’S FROM FERN’S hot and humid

 

A nice day, on the very hot side. I got up and got my work done up very early. Floor washed in all. Betty came about 8 AM and had Fern and they came with the building. Fern here all day. Carmen and Walt called and Zak. Fern sat on the porch all day. It was nice but on the hot side. David called and made a long visit.

 



 

 

Sunday, July 17, 1983

 

A very nice day, not so hot. I didn’t get up very early. I done up my work and Carmen came up for breakfast. She enjoyed eating on the back porch. Bill and Billie didn’t do much today. Brud called. They are worried about Delores. Joy came for milk, she and Cindy. Dorothea dropped in a minute. Thinking of Kim, hope she isn’t too homesick. Carmen took Zenya out for dinner tonight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment