The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, September 11, 2022

August 5 - 8, 1983 Nanny's Birthday

 

Friday, August 5, 1983

 

Hot and muggy when we got up. It was very hot all day. I done up the regular work. I did a big wash. Changed the beds, went down to the little house with Betty. They are doing a good job on it. Zak painted the roof today. I picked greens for supper. Billie picked the raspberries. Carmen called on way home from work. She had a miserable day.

 



 

 

 

 

Saturday, August 6, 1983 BAD BAD THUNDERSHOWERS

 

A very nice day in forenoon. Very hot and humid. I got up my work done up in a.m. In late PM we had a VERY bad thundershowers. The worst one I ever saw, it was dangerous. Brud and his new wife came yesterday. She is a very nice girl. Carmen called today. I was very proud and pleased to see that diploma from U of M.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 7, 1983 MET CARMEN’S NEW BOYFRIEND, a birthday party at Twin Oaks

 

It was a very nice day after all the bad mess yesterday and last night. I got up earlier this morning than usual on Sunday morning. I done up the work. Then we picked some cukes, got ready to go up to camp. Betty and Walt had a good dinner for us. Dorothea and David, Iva, Fern, Tom, Charlene, Bill, Billie and me and the Hortons plus Carmen’s new BOYFRIEND ALLEN BERRY, a nice guy. Barry came to check the roof.




 

 



 

 

Monday, August 8, 1983 quite hot and humid today

 

Well I’m 73 years old today. I did the wash, picked beans, greens, Billie picked raspberries and cukes. I got my supper to going. Betty and I to town and called at Dorothea’s. Bill, Zak and Betty worked on the little white house all day. Billie busy all day. I got a birthday call from Kim tonight. I sent her a letter today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment