The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

July 18 - 20, 1983 Daddy's Birthday

Monday, July 18, 1983 another nice sunny day

 

On the very hot side. I been very busy all day. I washed, did a very big one too. I picked peas, done up the work. Bill worked at Betty’s. Dawn came up to get her rug. Betty gone all PM. Dorothea and David’s mother called after supper. They had been to check on Delores.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 19, 1983 Billie to Portland today

 

A very nice day. I done up the work, did the ironing and defrosted the refrigerator. Then I got a chicken dinner and picked big mess of Swiss chard. Made cookies and had Carmen up for supper. Bill worked at Betty’s. Dorothea and David’s mother came about 9 AM then they with Billie left for Portland for checkup and examinations for Billie’s hands. He is to hear tomorrow the results of x-ray tests etc. He got a letter from Hill – Burton. They are going to take care of his hospital bill. He is to get a good check from a veterans until he is able to work.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 20, 1983 another beautiful day

 

We need rain, we got a shower early this morning. It helps because we need rain so bad. I done up my work, picked a mess of peas for supper. Then Billie and I went to town and we got a new rug for the new porch. Bill worked at Betty’s today. Betty busy all day preparing a cookout feed to go up to Twin Oaks for Walt’s birthday (55 years). I wrote a letter to Kim today. Bill didn’t get a call from the Dr. today. Dorothea and Iva called in evening. They went to the band concert.

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment