The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 1, 2021

February 14 - 17, 1979

 



Wednesday, February 14, 1979

 

We are having nice sunny days. A very nice clear moon at night but very low cold temperatures all day and night. The wind blows every day. I finished Betty’s washing today. I came home to get ready for Fern to come up, but it was so cold she didn’t come. The coffee group had a nice party for Betty. Her 36th birthday. Betty got a lot of valentines from her family and Zak brought home a 100 A+ paper.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 15, 1979

 

A very nice day. On the cool windy side. I done up my work, got ready, went to town and done the shopping. Came home, did some washing down to Betty’s and finished her washing. Betty is better today.

 

 

 

Friday, February 16, 1979 hair set

 

This is been a dite warmer today. It was quite nice, but the wind came up again late in PM. I washed windows, went down and got my hair set. Came home, finished the windows, did some washing. Down to Betty’s a little while. In evening Susan, Chris, Monica and Vince and I went to the Carnival Variety show. Vince was in it. It was quite good. I enjoyed it very much. Carmen went to the high school carnival dance tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 17, 1979 VERY COLD AND WINDY

 

What a windy day this has been and very cold. I got up about 7. I cooked a pie, cake, bread, beans and made biscuits. I washed floors, dusted, swept, changed beds. Zak came up early this morning, he came up through the field for breakfast and stayed all day, he watched his cartoons. He went home after supper. Dorothea came later in the evening. She was on her way to Joy’s to the birthday party a Betty and Joy at Joy’s house. Bill and Billie didn’t get out to do much today, it was so cold.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment