The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 30, 2021

June 6 - 9, 1979 Laurie Graduates

 

Wednesday, June 6, 1979 a beautiful day

 

Well, when we got up it was clear and the sun was coming up. Something we hadn’t seen for such a long time and I mean a long time. I got my regular work done up. I did the ironing early. Went down to Betty’s, we left at about 9:30. Joy went with us to North Conway to shop. Kimmy, Zak, Dawn and Carmen called after supper. Billie got the steer back home tonight. Tonight was baccalaureate for the graduation class of 1979. Laurie is a member of the class.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 7, 1979 it was clear and we saw the sun come up this morning

 

Another nice day. It was clear and quite warm, a little breeze. Bill hauled Joy and Buddy’s manure out also harrowed her garden once. I did a wash, a dite. I cleaned the car windows inside and out and the inside of the car. Also defrosted the refrigerator. I went to town with Joy. Zak had some teeth out this morning.

 

 

 

Friday, June 8, 1979 LAURIE GRADUATED

 

A quite nice day. I done up my work. I ironed, cleaned up the house. Did a lot of jobs. I ironed, took a bath this PM. Got ready to go to the graduation. I went with Walt, Betty, Carmen, Fern and Esther. It was a very nice graduation. Laurie looked nice and won a scholarship. She is a very smart person. A very well-liked girl, many friends. 2 more years and we go to Carmen’s.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 9, 1979 churned

 

Well it has been warm but hazy today, some showers. I been busy all day. I cooked, changed the beds. Kim came up, she and I churned some butter. We have a good Durham cow. Very rich milk. Kids dropped in. Churned a little more than 2 pounds.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment