The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 19, 2021

April 25 - 28, 1979 Carmen Back from NY - BILLIE SHOPPED

Wednesday, April 25, 1979 CARMEN CAME HOME, BILLIE SHOPPED

 

This has been a very nice day, sunny and mild. I got my work done up and went down to Betty’s. We got the dishes all washed and put back in the China closets etc. Also the things in the den. Fern and Esther helped also. I got through and back home at 2:30. Billie went down to Dorothea’s, they went to the clothing stores. Billie got a suit jacket, underclothes etc. He got home early in PM. He brought Italian sandwiches and Dunkin’ Donuts. That is what we had for supper. I took a bath and got ready. We left at 6 to go to pick Carmen up to the Greyhound bus station. She stayed at Jenny’s, she says her folks are rich and live in a mansion. They all had a glorious time. It was so good for her. Bill painted on the boat.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 26, 1979

 

A partly cloudy day. Billie finished his fencing. I cleaned the cupboards and draws in the blue bathroom also radiator and in my room too. Bill worked on the boat. It was a fair day, a dite of sun now and then. Carmen up and back to school this morning.

 

 

 

Friday, April 27, 1979

 

A very rainy day. I cleaned the bureau draws in Billie’s room and radiator and closet. He helped so as to get rid of some of his things. Also got some other odd and end jobs done.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 28, 1979

 

It was cloudy and rain. I made 2 pies, cake and a big batch of rolls. Went down to Dorothea’s and she drove Billie and I to the Mall at Sears to have his suit fitted. I came home, got the rolls into the tins, frosted the cake. I got my floors and dusting done before we went. Baked beans supper at the Grange Hall in Harrison for the New Hope Animal Farm.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment