The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 23, 2021

May 11 - 13, 1979 PROM

Friday, May 11, 1979

 

A quite nice day, mostly sunshine, not too hot. Today Betty and I came up, we did the kitchen cupboards, upper and lower. Susan and Lynn Hewson called a little while. After school Carmen, Kim and Zak called. Also Joy. Bill painted the boat

 

 

 

Saturday, May 12, 1979 THE BIG DANCE

 

Well a fair day, cloudy and some sun. I done my regular work. Betty came up and we cleaned these 2 living room closets. I washed my floors etc. Fern up for supper. Also I did a big ironing. Well tonight was Carmen’s first and very important day and evening and night. She went to the junior and senior prom with Larry MacLellan, the valedictorian of his senior class. She was dressed up in an evening gown, the first time ever. She was so happy and excited. Larry too looked very nice. It is to be a all night affair, out for supper, dance 9 PM to 1 AM, breakfast in the cafeteria from 1 to 2. Betty and Joy down to help out. Betty enjoyed meeting the parents of the kids.

 



Carmen and Larry McLellan


Laurie and Sid Flanigan

Tammy Johnson and Carroll Paine



 

 

 

 

Sunday, May 13, 1979 Mother’s Day

 

This has been a nasty day as far as the weather. Rain and cloudy. Well I have been very busy all day. I done up the work. Dorothea and Dave came. She brought me candy, perfume and a nice card. Betty’s folks, a telephone for the living room. Kim candy, and Carmen a cute little porcelain Bell and very pretty cards from all. Dorothea and I called at Betty and Walt then we went up to Joy’s. Everyone was so tired from last night. After Dorothea and Dave left I cleaned out the bedrooms and cleaned my bedroom closet. Billie went with Wes Gorman down to get a load of cows. Carmen had a glorious time and so pleased she was invited. Also Laurie enjoyed it all. Laurie and her date, Carmen and Larry all came to Betty’s and played games til the wee hours of the morning.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment