The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 25, 2021

May 17 - 20, 1979 Dandelions and Party for Laurie

 

Thursday, May 17, 1979 SUNNY ALL DAY

 

This is been a very nice sunny day and not a drop of RAIN ALL DAY. Well I’ve been busy ever since I got up this morning. I done up my regular work, did some washing. Then went down to Betty’s. She and I picked dandelions. Fern was there and we got them picked over. Then I came home. They fixed the rest of them for the freezer. I did a whale of a big wash, cleaned the breezeway. I got all my curtains, bedspreads, blankets and extras washed. I have been so busy. Dr. Holden came and fixed the cow’s hoofs. Bill hasn’t done anything here, he did mow Betty’s lawns. First good weather since last Friday.

Freya




 

 

 

 

Friday, May 18, 1979

 

A nice day after a week of rain. Then clouded up and rained again. It was a rainy day. I skipped a page and got this on the wrong day. Today Betty took Kim and Zak to Portland to Dr. Tanner. Esther and I went. Done a dite of shopping. I got 2 pairs of curtains for the bathrooms. Got home in fair season. Carmen to the distribution dance which means they got their yearbooks. She had a good time. Zak up there for supper.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 19, 1979 HOUSECLEANING DONE, cleared off nice

 

When we got up about 6:30 it was raining. A little later in the a.m. it began to clear off, which turned out to be a beautiful day. Billie to Norway and Paris in a.m. I done up my work and did a lot of cooking. Billie got the ground harrowed again. After he got the floor washed Billie and I started in downstairs. What a mess. Betty and Walt came and got their things. We picked over a lot of junk and threw away a lot of mess. That is the end of housecleaning.

 

A birthday party for Laurie





 

 

 

 

Sunday, May 20, 1979

 

A miserable day weatherwise. I got up at about 7:30, it was foggy, cloudy and rain. I got breakfast, done up the work. Washed some things I brought up from down cellar. Picked up the porch again. I packed away some curtains and drapes. Dorothea came, she and I went over to the meeting in East Stoneham at the church. About 15 people were there. They had picture albums, many articles to help get information for a family history book for East Stoneham. Joy went with us. I’m kind of lame from working down cellar yesterday. Walking on the cement floor. Joy and Laurie called in evening. Dorothea left to go home about 9:30.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment